Sunday, August 22, 2010

Final Thoughts

Out of all of the summer books I read for the blogs, The Catcher and the Rye by J.D. Salinger was by far my favorite and was the one that I thought was best. I thought it had a better storyline than the others, and I thought that is was easier to read and understand than the other two. Holden Caulfield was not a reliable narrator and was not always a good person, but I found him easy to relate to on some levels because there is no one in the world that is perfect. Holden may not always acknowledge it, but he is the perfect example of regular, totally normal imperfection. Holden tries to do the right thing but sometimes ends up being completely wrong, and I understand that and think a lot of people would be able to relate to that aspect of Holden's character.

My least favorite summer reading book was The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. I found the author's writing extremely boring and nearly impossible to get through, and while I did sympathize with the main character, I did not find the book at all interesting or even remotely good. I thought it was a terrible book, not just for the writing, but also for the story that was told. It was very boring even during the high point, and the resolution of the conflict was totally unsatisfying. I also felt like it was harder to understand the situations and the characters because of the way that the dialogue was written and even the way the rest of the novel was written.

I did not think The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck was bad, but it was not a story that particularly interested me. I thought the writing was good and a lot of the characters were easy to understand to relate to, but I did not really enjoy the storyline. I like history, but the time period was not one that interested me, and as a result it was harder for me to get through the novel and understand everything that was going on in the story and with all of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment