Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Journal #35: War Reporter

If I was a reporter, I do not think that I would want to be in the trenches with the troops during a war. I know that truly dedicated reporters/journalists get involved in the thing they are reporting in someway, but because I do not have any desire to be a reporter or journalist, this holds no appeal to me. I do not want to be in the middle of a riot in Egypt (like the wonderful and allusive Anderson Cooper) or in the trenches during WWII. Because there's a really good chance that I would get hurt or killed and really, I do not think it's worth it. Anderson Cooper got punched in the face when he was reporting about the riots in Egypt, and then he had to go into hiding for awhile. That does not sound at all appealing to me, thank you very much.

I do respect the journalists that risk their lives to bring people in America an important story about what is going on in the world, because they are so passionate about what they do. But I do not think I would be able to put myself in that position, especially because there are even more bad things happening in recent times. There are reporters going to Egypt, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, and other very dangerous places to cover news stories for newspapers and news stations. They are willing to do this and are probably excited to do it as well, but I could not put myself in that position just to bring an interesting story to life.

However, live reporting really does bring a better story to the table in spite of the danger also involved. It is more interesting to hear firsthand accounts of things than just research or quotes and such. And I think that one of the reasons reporters are so dedicated to the story is that they know people will be more interested and want to learn more and maybe even get involved with things like Haiti and other devastating disasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment