Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Job Shadowing Experience

When I was informed that all juniors would have to participate in job shadowing, I was not a happy camper. Mainly because I have no idea what I would like to do with the rest of my life and therefore it was pretty difficult to pick three places I would like to job shadow. Then my mother met someone during jury duty who works in radiology and she decided that I should job shadow someone in radiology. I was not feeling very motivated at that point, but figured that it couldn't hurt to learn more about a field I knew nothing about.

So after navigating the perilous streets of Springfield, I found Memorial Hospital and reported for duty. I had to park in parking lot 10, meaning I had to cross the street two times. It was rather dangerous but I found my way. After being assigned to my department, radiology, I was introduced to some rather nice nurses in doctors who showed me what was going to go down. It was all rather pleasant and I was learning quite a bit. The most interesting part was when the technician was going me how they prepare patients for biopsies. And that is when I started feeling unwell. About fifteen minutes later that doctor came in from doing the biopsy and he started talking about needing a bigger needle to chip through the patients sacrum and there was blood on his hands- that is when the experience went south and I had to go into the bathroom and vomit.

And then the nurse "suggested" that I leave because I was sick. Meaning she told me to leave because I was sick. I had made it about three hours into the experience at that point, and was still feeling rather ill. So I went home (after calling my mom and making sure it was okay) and that was it for me and my job shadowing experience at Memorial Medical Center.

All in all, I did not get to learn very much. But what I did learn was pretty interesting and was definitely new information. However, after that experience I have decided it would be best if I didn't go into the medical field. And on top of the whole vomiting thing, I found the information interesting but still do not think I would like to make a career out of it. After going on a college visit, I have actually been able to narrow down what I would like to do in the future and it definitely does not have anything to do with the medical field and definitely not radiology- I am leaning more towards business or something along those lines. While I did not get a lot of information and I did not get to stay very long, one thing I definitely learned is that I am not going to go into radiology or anything else in the medical field, so that is one useful thing that came out of the whole experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment