Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Journal #43: Coltrane Instrumental

The song "Blue Train" by John Coltrane is very jazzy and uplifting. As I am listening to the first four minutes of the song, I immediately picture either a dark little club in the mid 1900s late at night or a modern-day Holiday Inn. The club because this song is jazz music which was pretty popular back in the day, and the Holiday Inn because this song also seems a little bit like elevator music. It does not seem like elevator music because it is bad (because it is not bad) but because it has a kind of calming factor as well as being peppy and uplifting. I feel as if I am in the middle of a club of ill repute during the prohibition, even though I'm pretty sure this song was not popular during that time period. Or maybe it was not even made up yet- I do not know.

I do not have much musical prowess, but I think there are a lot of instruments making up this song. I hear drums, saxophone, piano, and some other jazzy sorts of instruments going on there. The blend of these many instruments is rather nice and provides a calming quality although, as I said before, the music is still rather peppy and fun. I like it, but it definitely is not my favorite style of music.

This being said, usually I am not a big fan of jazz music, but this song was very nice. That being said, I will not be downloading this song onto my iPod or anything, even though I think it is a nice cute little song. It demonstrates modernism because it was a new kind of music back in the day, and probably came out of the Harlem Renaissance where African American music styles heavily influenced the music of the time and made a pretty big impact.

1 comment:

  1. Strange "water hack" burns 2 lbs in your sleep

    Well over 160,000 men and women are hacking their diet with a simple and SECRET "liquids hack" to lose 1-2lbs each and every night in their sleep.

    It's proven and it works with anybody.

    Here are the easy steps for this hack:

    1) Go grab a drinking glass and fill it half full

    2) Now follow this crazy HACK

    you'll be 1-2lbs lighter the next day!

    ReplyDelete