Monday, January 3, 2011

Journal #27: Persistence

Persistence. Seriously? I need to formulate a 325 word journal on one word?

Okay.

Persistence is, defined by my beloved and trustworthy www.dictionary.com, the act of persisting or continued effort (Persistence). Another example is ambition, or continuing to do something (Rundblom). Persistence can be a tricky thing. How long do you really want to do something? After a while, all that persisting would probably just a little tedious. And boring. And downright exhausting.

I have recently exhibited persistence when I had to work every single day of my Christmas Break (excluding Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and the weekends). It was horrendous, to be honest. I had to eat lunch in my cubicle and spend hours and hours actually doing my job. Well, I did slack off and look at MSN Wonderwall quite a few times. The 2010 Year In Review gallery was absolutely captivating.

The main and most important part of persistence is working hard so that you can see all that hard work result in something, and hopefully something good. For instance, studying all semester for a class that you find challenging shows persistence, and that hard work pays off when you get a good grade in the class. Working shows persistence, because then you get a paycheck and are able to purchase things for yourself. I make nowhere near enough money to support myself at the moment (because, um, minimum wage is $8.25, folks. And FICA hates me), it is still nice to know that I have some extra money to buy clothes or go out to eat or something of that nature.

I would also like to think that I exhibited persistence by getting this blog post finished and reaching the required 325 words, not including citations. Because really, this is a broad topic. I could branch out in whatever topic I please, as long as it has to do with persistence.

On that note, the Great Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the United States, had a few words to say about the wonders of persistence. "Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race” (American).

Well said, sir.

La Fin.

"American President: Calvin Coolidge." Miller Center of Public Affairs. Web. 04 Jan. 2011. .

"Persistence Define Persistence at Dictionary.com." Dictionary.com Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com. Web. 03 Jan. 2011. .

Rundblom, Abby (circa 1994). English Class. 03 Jan. 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment