Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Journal #25: Masks

Off the top of my head, I cannot recall a time when I have worn a hypothetical mask for a really and truly serious reason. Because sure, I have worn a hypothetical "mask" before, like pretty much everyone else in the world has. I think that at some point, all of us are sick of our emotions being out on display and just want to be closed off for a little while to just be able to ignore things that we do not want to dwell or focus on any longer.

If I do not want someone to know how I am feeling at the moment, I think that it has always just been easier to wear this hypothetical mask you are asking me to write about. For instance, today at work, my boss, who I fondly refer to as "Crazy Joan", yelled at me because apparently my desk is not at her preferred level of cleanliness. And instead of crying because her face is scary when she yells, I contained myself. I suppose you could call that "wearing a mask". And then I cried a little bit when she left because she obviously is not a very nice lady.

Another time I have done this is when one of my friends got a really, really, ugly homecoming dress. She does not go to our school, thank goodness, so I did not have to look at it for a long time. But this dress was seriously ugly, and she asked what I thought of it. What was I supposed to say? "That dress looks like someone threw up on it and then sprinkled a hefty dose of cat litter on top"? No. She would have punched me in the face. So I smiled and said I liked it. Because otherwise, she probably would have cried...she's like that.

For small reasons like those, I have masked my emotions. But when I feel very serious about something, I usually do not want my opinion hidden, so I would not mask that. But there definitely have been times when I have needed to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment