Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Journal #10: Science/Religion

I personally think that Religion vs. Science is a very touchy, not to mention extremely vague, subject for anyone to talk about. I do not think that writing a blog about the conflict between science and religion is something I really want to do. Because although I definitely know what side of the argument I am on, I don't think that I should have to talk about it on a blog. Nothing against this wonderful blog, but I just do not want to. So I'll yammer on for 325+ words about religion and science and how I really just think that these touchy topics should be kept separate basically forever and ever. It makes me uncomfortable when people get all worked up about whatever side they believe in and I usually just check out of the conversation if it gets to that point. But I'm kind of trying to avoid people who spend their free time debating such things, so there's a plus.

Whew. This is quite a controversial blog topic. I don't think there's anything wrong with a little good old controversy, but still. I am not a fan of being involved in it...I'm more of a 'sidelines' kind of lady myself. But Science and Religion have pretty much always been against each other, on opposing sides, because they're totally different. It's very much like the Enlightenment (Religious Ideas) vs. The Great Awakening (Rational/Scientific Thinking), Divine Intervention vs. Structured Plans, or Evolution vs. Creation by God.

Even though Science and Religion are supposed to be completely separate, they are often meshed together in debate and whatnot. But really, you can't really take both sides. It is basically just impossible, like believing in Catholicism and Hinduism at the same time. Well, it is not really that extreme, but still. It would be pretty hard to mesh the ideas of Religion and Science into one great little belief all tied together with a ribbon. But some people attempt it, like Tom Cruise. I would really prefer not to go down that road, even though Tom Cruise and I are probably pretty much the same when it comes to height.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this is a controversial topic.

    Imagine the issues that arose during the transition between Puritan/Pilgrim beliefs and Rationalism. The people who were holding onto the previous generation's beliefs likely clashed with the new generation, the Rationalists.

    ReplyDelete