Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Journal #3: Hostage Situation

If I were in a hostage situation, I have a feeling that I would not be taking it very well.

First, I am guessing that the shock and disbelief would set in. I would probably just be sitting around wherever I am being imprisoned and stare off into space. After a little while, the initial hysteria would most likely occur. I am guessing there would be a lot of screaming and crying and I would probably be dropping a lot of expletives. After all of that, the emotion I'd be feeling would most likely just be hopelessness.

Usually when a person is in a tough situation, 'fight or flight' kicks in. And my instinct would most likely be 'flight'. I would probably do anything possible to get away. There would be a lot of crying and bargaining and whatnot, and if that did not work out for me I would just mope. I'm sure if I were in the situation for long enough,like if it had been months or years, I would eventually come up with a plan to escape my captor or captors.

But honestly, most people in situations like these are usually scared or threatened, and even if they do have some kind of escape plan, there's a pretty small chance that it would actually work out unless you are extremely resourceful or your captors are just really bad at keeping people hostage. I guess I would just be a mopey little hostage and try not to have anymore complete panic attacks before I either die, escape, or get rescued.

If I were in a situation identical to the one that Mary Rowlandson, I would probably just try and wait things out and trust that somehow, I would be rescued, just like she did. Even though hostage situations are much different than how they were back in those times, the fear and uncertainty that the hostage experiences is still very much the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment